Glassware Service Lab
Providing laboratory glassware washing and sterilization services to support the various research labs of Virginia Tech
- Amsco Renaissance Sterilizer
- Amsco Century Sterilizer
- Reliance 500 Laboratory Glassware Washer
- Amsco 3021 Gravity Sterilizer
- Accepted are a variety of items for sterilization, including glassware, media, autoclavable plastics (e.g. Nalgene), and surgical instruments.
- All items submitted to the glassware lab for sterilization must be labeled and properly wrapped, etc.
- Items will be sterilized within two working days.
- The glassware lab is responsible for the decontamination of all potentially infectious biological waste materials used in the ILSB.
- Any solid or liquid chemical waste is picked up from individual labs by EHSS.
- All biological waste should be packaged in either a clear autoclave bag (BSL1), an orange biohazard bag (BSL2) or red sharps container (BSL1 &2) according to VT EHSS and glassware lab policies for decontamination and preparation for pick-up by EHSS.
- Please consult a glassware technician if there are any questions as to proper handling of biological waste.
- Any solid or liquid chemical waste is picked up from individual labs by EHSS. Submit a Chemical Waste Pick Up Request
Cleansing of Laboratory Glassware
- The glassware lab is equipped with a Reliance 500 model laboratory glassware washer to meet the needs of all research labs in the ILSB.
- Items submitted for cleaning should be properly labeled and rinsed of any chemical or biological reside, and disinfected if necessary.
- Glassware and plastics will be machine or hand washed according to the delicacy of an item.
- Requests for hand washing or concerns regarding cleaning policies should be directed to the glassware technician or supervisor.
- Items will be cleaned within two working days.
- Training for the Amsco (room 2069) and ILSB waste stream training